Tuesday 22 March 2011

Mormon Rye Bread Recipe

So as I've mentioned in the past, I am a little bit of a bread machine maniac. So this week, my dad came over and we had lunch that is starting to be somewhat of a tradition for us. A couple of times every year, we pick up, from different places, the best chopped liver from Chenoy's, the best smoked meat (up for debate depending who you talk to) from Smoke Meat Pete's, and usually pick up a rye bread, coleslaw and potato salad. Well, now it turns out that the best rye bread comes from me.... Not that I feel I created something miraculous, it's just that I've found a recipe that kicks the butt of store bought rye bread, mainly because it's just so fresh. By day 2, it tastes like a very good store bought rye bread.

The recipe comes from a a book called Easy Bread Machine Recipes by Rob Wanless, and it was lent to me by my friend K. who you can check out here.




So here it is, this is for a 2 pound loaf:

Load into your bread machine according to machine directions:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup rye flour
  • 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp dry milk
  • 1 1/3 cups water
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil
  • 1 extra-large egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp yeast
  • 1 tbsp caraway seeds
I chose to run this recipe on the dough cycle. Then I molded it into the normal sort of shape of a loaf of rye bread, put it on a baking sheet sprinked with corn meal.

Let the dough rise for about 45 minutes, brush the dough lightly with a beaten egg.

Bake in a preheated oven at 360 degrees for about 35 minutes.


Sadly I didn't take pics.... I may be making another loaf for DH to take the left over chopped liver to work, so updates to follow! Enjoy!



    1 comment:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...