Monday 28 February 2011

5 Reasons Why I think YOU need a Bread-Maker!

Last summer, some of my best buds got together and bought me a bread-maker. It took me a total of two minutes to realize that my life, as I knew it, had changed forever and that I had been willingly transformed into a bread-making convert.

By far, my favourite-ever kitchen gadget. Now YOU need one. Here are my top five reasons why:

1. They save you big $$$...


Bread-makers require a minimal investment (about $80 and up, in Canada, if you think of the long-rewards (or they come FREE if you're smart and ask for one for your birthday... That's if you have awesome friends like I do.. who would be equally awesome without the great gifts).



The price of making bread, cinnamon rolls, pizza dough, and all of the other great things you can make in a bread-maker will literally cost you a small fraction of the cost of buying it. I don't know about you, but I end up spending about $3-4 on a loaf of bread at the grocery store. A basic loaf  in the machine will cost you between 50 cents to a dollar.

2. Nothin' like it!

There is nothing like the smell, taste or texture of freshly baked bread. It's just better. 'Nuff said.

3. You'll look like you have mad bread-making skills.

This is a loaf I made for to bring to my grandmother's house. Not that I think this is the best pic ever (actually it was the only one that I had), but it just goes to show that with minimal effort, you can have a really nice looking, but more importantly amazingly tasty product for very little effort. In this case, set it on the dough cycle, braided it, let it rise, and then baked it in the oven with some egg wash. Le voila! Fresh Challah bread.



Try bringing a couple of loaves of bread to a potluck, along with maybe a few cheeses and some pâté, and just see if you don't have a whole crowd of people crowded around your section of the table and chowing down. And then give yourself a pat on the back for all 10 minutes you spend making it.

4. A little comparison... I'll let you decide.

Ingredients in Pom Ultrasoft  Superclub Sandwich Bread

Enriched wheat flour, water, glucose-fructose/ sugar, vegetable oil (canola or soybean), yeast, salt, soybean flour, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, mono and diglycerides, acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono and diglycerides, calcium propionate, ammonium chloride, calcium iodate.



Ingredients in my favourite white bread recipe:

Flour, water, salt, yeast



Um... so yeah... there's something to be said for real food. I know what I'd rather feed my family.

5. Mmmm.... Pizza

Pizza dough in the stores have a disgusting mark up. Almost everyone loves pizza, and it can be much cheaper to make at home. With a bread-maker,  dough is maybe 50 cents. It can be frozen, and used for pizza, calzones,  panzerottis, you name it. Not to mentioned it is ridiculous barbequed and made into sandwiches.. more to come on that in the recipe section for sure.

Scroll to the bottom of this dessert calzone recipe I posted for my current pizza dough recipe.

My Bread-Maker


I have a Sunbeam, and I really have no complaints on it. It has tonnes of features and settings, like a time delay so you can set it in the morning and come home to freshly baked bread, settings for darkness, types of bread, and even an Expressbake feature. Needless to say, I am a fan...

But, if you don't believe me, you can check out what the pros think.


PEOPLE ~ BUY A BREAD-MAKER!

7 comments:

  1. QUOTE "There is nothing like the smell, taste or texture of freshly baked bread. It’s just better. ‘Nuff said."

    You mean THE BEST right... just like your BESTEST friends

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely love my bread maker. But now I've also got a kitchen aid stand mixer and I'm loving using that for making my bread. But I'll admit it's not as hands off as a bread maker.

    In the beginning we loved making the bread in the bread maker but then my bf didn't like the thickness of the crust (he's picky). But it's definitely 100% the best thing for making pizza dough. I can't even believe how much money we used to waste buying those ready made crusts, bleh! And how about that Preserves function, I can't wait to try that out on mine. Homemade jam, mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment, Aisha. I have been curious about that jam function on mine too... it would be a great project for strawberry season...Mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for linking up to the frugal tuesday tip! one our hostesses, sara, is dedicated to bread making, too. http://juliecache.com/2011/03/21/frugal-tuesday-tip-4/.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I Heart my bread maker!! Thanks for linking up!

    http://learningthefrugallife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are life changing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...